Behaviours that are deemed to be challenging
Support for people with behaviours that are deemed to be challenging
Behaviour is seen as challenging when it causes harm to the individual, those around them or prevents them from:
- Engaging in the community due to exhibiting aggressive behaviour
- Living independently, as their challenging behaviour demands 24-hour support
Effectively managing behaviours that are deemed as challenging is a core focus for Magic Life. Many of these behaviours indicate that the individual has needs – a sensory aversion, perhaps or a need to get away from noise or physical contact – but is unable to communicate this in a conventional way.
This can manifest in a number of ways, including:
- Hurting others (e.g. hair pulling, hitting, head-butting)
- Self-harm (e.g. head banging, eye-poking, hand biting)
- Destructive behaviours (e.g. throwing things, breaking furniture, tearing things up)
- Eating inedible objects (e.g. cigarette butts, pen lids, bedding)
- Other behaviours (e.g. spitting, smearing, repetitive rocking, stripping off, running away)
We introduce strategies to prevent or reduce such behaviour, which include:
- Attempting to gauge if the person is in pain or bored
- Employing distraction techniques
- Supporting positive behaviour
- Brief interventions
- Developing communication skills
- Offering quiet time or space
- Providing meaningful activities of choice
- Educating the individual that there are other ways to get what they want
Challenging behaviours can be reduced in intensity and frequency with the right strategies in place.
We believe that through providing the right support and helping individuals to gain confidence and new skills amazing outcomes are possible.
Our Supported Living Pathways
Our services are tailored to an individual’s needs. It’s how we can most effectively encourage and empower individuals while providing all the support they need. Every individuals journey is underpinned by a comprehensive Support and Goal plan that they play an active role in defining.
To make a referral, Call our team on:
020 8826 4348 or 07710 022467
You can also email Raf at Raf@magiclifeuk.com on
For General Enquiries, Call our team on:
020 8826 4348
Or you can send us a message using the below Contact form
Magic House, 5-11 Green Lanes, London N13 4TN
General Enquiries Form
What happens after a referral is made
Once a referral has been made, we will aim to carry out an assessment within 24 – 48 hours.
We then aim to work with you and those who know you best to tailor an individual support pathway.
Our team are here to help so get in touch on 020 8826 4348 or 07710 022467
Make a Referral
Call our team on
Main Number : 020 8826 4348
Magic Life UK Limited (Head Office)
5-11 Green Lanes
We aim to carry out assessments within 24 - 48 hours
Our highly professional team are committed to providing care and support that’s appropriate for the individual’s needs.Contact Us
Magic Life Podcast
Hear what our staff and clients have to say.
Call our team on 020 8826 4348. To arrange an assessment.